The KVM project has recently released updated virtio drivers for Windows based VMs.
But installing them in Windows 7/2008 isn’t that easy as in XP where you could just install drivers anyways, although their certificate wasn’t valid – Windows 7/2008 is a little more “intelligent” here and doesn’t even allow that.
That’s what I did to get the drivers working on a Windows 2008 R2 VM:
- Download the viostor and NetKVM drivers
- Download “Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider”
- Extract the driver packages
- Start DSEO
- Select the “Sign a System File” option
- Insert the full path to the netkvm.sys file
- Finish the process
- Repeat the “Sign a System File” procedure for viostor.sys
- Launch a ‘cmd’ shell
- Execute “bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON”
- Restart the VM
- Install the drivers as usual